Thursday, May 20, 2010

DEAD AHEAD WHERE THERE AIN'T NO ROAD

I had a choice. Or did I? As with so many crucible-like moments in my life, I seem to find myself dropped into the cauldron, the cooking process having already begun. Fate? Some universal joke, perhaps? Only time can sort this out.

In the workshop I had up north, I built things; amplifiers, mixers and speaker systems. A great deal of the sound of my early bands had to do with what I was building at that time, bigger speakers, louder amps and the occasional sound morphing device. In those days of The Who and Cream, all the power of the band was on-stage with you. It was powerful and it felt great. I’m lucky I still have my hearing.

This was different. Southern and acoustic, warm and biting stories told in song. Doctor, what say you? Is there an open chair for The Wizard, the man behind the curtain? Well, I’m not sure I was actually allowed to speak to the Doctor for quite awhile, so involved in thought was he, but one day soon…

Shelter

Everybody’s needing a blanket and beans

And time to think it over



Followers