Thursday, May 20, 2010

ROAD TRIP

Sitting on top of the world, that’s what it felt like. Hoover Dam was phenomenal, the biggest single object I’d ever seen. Standing on top, you could feel the weight of gravity pulling you one direction, while in the night sky overhead there was Kohoutec with its long tail, tempting my mind outward. Or, that might have just been the orange micro-dot.

I hadn’t seen skies like this since I left my Pennsylvania homeland years earlier.

That old house on a hill, burnt now to a cindery crisp, sat atop an old coal mine, where a century earlier seventy-one miners lost their lives in a tunnel collapse. The Tipple Mine, a long time gone, now.

D.R. used to trick me into the most extraordinary situations. I was once sitting on someone’s apartment floor, surrounded by a loud party, mostly military brass. Musical instruments were continually handed off in my direction. I was surrounded. What was I doing here? I was unable to play a note. Help!


Just who is this ‘Southern Dylan’ they keep talking on about? What have I done with my guitars? I have nothing with me from my former life with which to remember myself. Nemesis, Raintree, Pratt, where are they all now? It was just four years ago, but time bent in on itself and somehow I forgot.




Followers